Your Subtitle text
Welcome to Spicewood River Ranch
Located about 22 miles NW of Austin, and 16 miles SE of Marble Falls, Spicewood, Texas is known as the gateway to the Texas Hill Country. Our abundant spring-fed creeks lined with towering cypress trees make this community a favorite recreational destination for many.

Our community was probably named for the spicewood timber on nearby Little Cypress Creek. In 1899, a post office was opened, and nearby communities, such as Corwin, Clover, and Rockvale in southern Burnet County and Haynie Flat in western Travis County, began using it. As these small communities declined in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, many of these residents turned to Spicewood as their home.


In 1919 Spicewood replaced Rockvale as the official name of the local school district. By the mid-1920s the community had about 100 residents; that number had risen to 125 by 1933.When Farm Road 93 (later State Highway 71) was built through the area in the 1940s, many Spicewood businesses thrived; and several businesses and scattered houses marked the community on county highway maps during that time. In 1949 the school at Haynie Flat was consolidated with the Spicewood district; Spicewood in turn was consolidated with the Marble Falls Independent School District in 1952. The population of Spicewood fell to 100 by 1970. It was reported as 110 in the mid-70s, and grew rapidly to over 2,000 residents by 2000 (some estimates report upward of 5,000).


As of 2009, Spicewood's population is 7,166 people.